Monday, June 23, 2008

ICON OF SAM: Sam's Concluding Cal Arts Show, Thesis Show

Here are some photos documenting my concluding Cal Arts solo show. The show took place from March 17th through the 21st, 2008 at Cal Arts in Valencia, Ca. The show had a great turnout and warm response to the work.

Photobucket

A brief explanation of the show:

I filled 149 Moleskine notebooks with hundreds of thousands of mostly quick abstract ballpoint pen drawings done over a more than one year period between 2006 and 2007.

Photobucket


I call these notebook drawings "studies" (a whole lot of studies!) because they were my practice and preparation for making the title piece, "Icon of Sam."

Photobucket

As one walked from the gallery's front entrance towards the back wall these notebooks of drawings got more and more recent

Photobucket

and ended at the back wall where one found the title piece which I began in January, 2008 after I was done with the studies.

Photobucket

Since this is an ongoing piece, I actually took it home each night night of the exhibition -so it was a different drawing every day! I am still working on it now, as of June 23, 2008.

Enjoy these documentations.

Thanks for stopping by!

Sam Graham,
New York, New York
June 23, 2008

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

*photos by Jefferson Graham, Amy Shimoshige, and Sam Graham.

4 Comments:

Blogger TOPAZ KNITS said...

this is a great example of your work. hope to see it in a gallery soon!
G-ma

June 24, 2008 at 11:04 AM  
Blogger ruthtalksfood.com said...

Amazing exhibit, Sam! Love the idea that the icon is forever (?) a work in progress.

R.H.S.

June 27, 2008 at 12:46 PM  
Blogger ruthtalksfood.com said...

It was a very original and intriguing show! I particularly like that the Icon is a work in progress.

Can't wait to see what you do next!

Urma

June 27, 2008 at 12:56 PM  
Blogger Heidi Smith said...

Sam Graham, your millions of moleskin drawings are pretty sweet. I really like the photography too, the third one from the top is my favorite!

August 21, 2008 at 12:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home